Congratulations! Follow the instructions below to find out if you need to update your FAFSA after you’re married.

First, visit to find out if you’re a dependent or an independent student. If the Department of Education considers you an independent student or if updating your FAFSA will decrease your Pell Grant, do not make any updates to your FAFSA. Instead, contact the financial aid office and request a budget increase from a single student to a married student.

Next, choose the tab below that best describes your situation and follow the steps listed.